Monday, January 16, 2006

Jangled Thoughts of an expatriate Steelers fan (past midnight)

I was working in the Hot Deli when I heard the news. I had casually mentioned that I wasn’t really looking forward to the game that would be on when I got home (Bears/Panthers) because I was a Steelers fan – and I couldn’t bear to see the beating that Payton Manning and Co. were sure to lay upon them…

But, like so many times before, I was wrong – and I couldn’t be more elated (okay, if they made the Super Bowl … against the 49ers … at Heinz Field … and some poor sap wanted to bet on the 49ers covering the spread). It was a colossal collapse for the Colts, one from which they may never truly recover. This was, after all, their year! They won home field advantage before most teams had even clinched a playoff spot, rattled off 15 wins in a row and were set to relax and prepare themselves for the winners of a Cincinnati/Pittsburgh game.

“Used to be alright / But things got strange” – Flaming Lips, “God walks among us now”

I still can’t believe it. They were 9, by some counts 10, point underdogs. They were facing the 2/1 favorite for the Super Bowl victor. Their QB was still fighting off injury, the team was tired from a dog fight and they were on the road. And a #6 seed had never made it to the Championship game, to boot. Hell, even the officiating was against them at times. The odds were stacked against them like never before – but they produced. Not one person, but everybody.

For every TD run by Jerome Bettis there was a big tackle by Ben Roethlisburger. For every big catch by Hines Ward there was a big hit by some almost-nameless linemen. This was the rare game where everything just clicked and nothing could go wrong; the same kind that Nolan Ryan had seven times.

Don’t get me wrong, the Colts played a good game; they just played it against a great team.

It was almost midnight when I finally got to see the highlights – and I couldn’t have been happier to miss the game.

I'll post my recaps on Mon/Tues - my Predictions on Friday

No comments: