Saturday, February 02, 2008

Super Bowl, Super Team

It was under the watchful eyes of FBI sharpshooters that the New York Giants defence crushed them under a pile of blue jerseys, keeping their high-powered offense off the field, running down the clock.

Their offence, neither great nor bad, did it’s job, keeping the ball in the hands of the Giants.

And although the game came down to just one play, a last minute field goal, it was a sign of the Giant’s superb defence, which kept it as close as it was.

But that was in 1991, at Super Bowl XXV.

The Giants then, as now, were a huge underdog to a powerful AFC team, the Buffalo Bills. The Bills offence was one of the best ever, led by Jim Kelly, who threw for over 2,800 yards and 24 touchdowns, most of them to Andre Reed .

And on the surface, the Patriots seem a lot like the Bills.

But they’re not.

That Bills team didn’t have the depth, especially in the receiving corps, that this Patriots team does. You have a hall-of-fame receiver in Randy Moss, a deep threat in Dante Stallworth a short threat in Wes Welker.

Most importantly, you have a phenomenal runner in Lawrence Maloney who can chew up the clock and keep the Giants off the field.

This season’s Giants are far from the 1990 Giants as well. They do not have the crushing defence they had then. They do not have the offense that can burn down the clock.

However, they do have a good QB who’s been hot this postseason. They have two good wideouts who are a good downfield threat. And they have a kicker who, under tremendous pressure, didn’t fold.

Which could be all the difference. Remember, Adam Vinitari won the Patriots a Super Bowl. Scott Norwood lost one for the Patriots.

At the same time, though, I haven’t listened to the hype this year. I’ve barely watched Sportscenter, haven’t watched any pre- or post-game show since the end of the NFC Championship game.

I still haven’t seen any clips of Tom Brady’s booted foot (which already seems like it happened a month ago).

But I don’t think I need to, lest I get caught up in the hype.

At the end of the day, it boils down to just one thing. The Patriots are maybe the best team I’ve ever seen, and I hate them for it.

I hate the ease in which they score, I hate the way their defence covers up any mistakes Brady makes and I hate just how good they are.

I don’t feel any which way about the Giants, which is never a good thing.

I may hate the Patriots, but I have a reason to, since they are such a good team. And although I’m trying to be objective here, I’m going to take them to win.

My pick: Patriots over Giants

No comments: